Korean Braised Beef Short Ribs
March 19th, 2019
For those who like a challenge, try this recipe of the week! Pinson Valley High School student Genesis Smoke won 1st place in the Senior Division of the Cook Off with this amazing recipe. Congrats!
1 medium onion, thinly sliced vertically
8 large cloves garlic, sliced
2 tablespoons minced ginger
2 cups beef broth
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce, tamari or coconut amino 1/4 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
2 tablespoons gochujang (fermented Korean Chile paste)
1 tablespoons dark (toasted) sesame oil
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon canola, vegetable or peanut oil
Salt and pepper
4 long-cut bone-in beef short ribs (2 1/2 to 3 pounds), trimmed of excess fat
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 bunches scallions, root ends trimmed
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
Cooked brown rice
1. Combine first 9 ingredients in a slow cooker. Set slow cooker to high to preheat.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat. Generously season beef short ribs with salt and black pepper. Add short ribs to pan, reduce heat to medium and brown well on all sides, approximately 2-3 minutes per side.
3. Transfer ribs, meat side down, to slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 4-6 hours or until very tender.
4. Combine cornstarch with approximately 4 tablespoons of the cooking liquid in a small bowl and stir until smooth. Pour cornstarch mixture into slow cooker, stir to blend and cook uncovered on high for approximately 20 minutes. Turn slow cooker off and let stand 10 minutes. (Sauce will thicken more upon standing.)
5. Heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil in skillet or sauté pan over medium-high. Cook scallions 2-3 minutes or until slightly softened and browned.
6. Serve short ribs with scallions, kimchi, cooked brown rice and shredded carrots.
Make ahead: These beef short ribs reheat beautifully, Reheat in 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until heated through.